Interested in joining our hockey FAMILY?
OPEN YOUR HEART AND HOME TO AN OUTLIERS PLAYER
The Utah Outliers are always looking to expand their 'Host/Billet Family' program. Each season, our players come from all around the world to become part of our team. Players reside with local families known as 'billet' or 'host' families who provide room and board during the hockey season (Sept-March) for a monthly stipend.
Host families take our players into their homes and treat them as one of their own. Becoming a host family is a very rewarding, enriching, and unique experience. As a host family, you have the opportunity to provide a stable and supportive environment for a promising young man pursuing his hockey aspirations. Permanent special bonds are formed between the players and their host families that are invaluable and often last a lifetime.
SUPPORT YOUNG ATHLETES BY BECOMING A HOST FAMILY: SUBMIT AN interest form to the right!
Frequently asked questions about housing a player
Q. What makes a great billet?
A. A caring and supportive family! It can be overwhelming for a player to be so far away from home. A thoughtful billet family appreciates that each player is unique and that communication and mutual understanding take effort.
Q. May a family host more than one player?
A. Yes. Two (or more) players can share transportation expenses, and oftentimes provide camaraderie for one another. All of our players fill out a detailed application and must comply with specific guidelines for behavior and academic performance.
Q. What am I expected to provide?
A. We ask that you provide:
- A separate room and closet for a player, or a shared room and bath if hosting more than one player.
- Nutritious meals. (Players are responsible for meal expenses when traveling.)
- A caring and friendly home atmosphere
- The same guidance and attention you would want for your children.
What you receive in return:
- A firsthand understanding of being a hockey fan.
- A new perspective on hockey as seen through the eyes of your player.
- The opportunity to make a difference to a young player and help him toward his dreams.
- A monthly stipend of $400
- Invitation to and recognition at the annual ‘Billet Appreciation’ game
Our billets are interested in sharing their lifestyle in a positive and mutually rewarding way and can offer a safe, secure, and welcome home to learn and grow in.
Even the most self-assured players appreciate good quality time with their billet family. Is everyone in your household ready to accept someone new into your home? If willing, this experience can be tremendous for all involved. Complete the form to the right for more information!